Sunday, November 06, 2005

No Hunting Story Today, Sorry

Hunting today just sort of petered out. First of all, one of my hunting buddies decided to leave his wallet at school Friday, with his hunting license inside, way to go son. (At least he didn't honk the damn horn) My other hunting buddy, my 2nd best friend Brian, came down with the 24 hr stomach flu that I just got rid of, serves him right, he did honk the horn, no crapper in the back of the truck so he wasn't going either. I took a little drive up to Columbus this morning but not to go hunting, more on that later.

I did, however, manage to spend a few hours riding out at Ah Nei.

On my way home from Columbus I stopped off to visit one of my 4 wheeling buddies and found that him, his neighbor, and another one of our truck driving friends were going riding, so I went home and loaded up my machine and tagged along. It was great, not exactly my idea of a perfect day riding, but it was fun, had I been in a little better mood I'm sure that I would've enjoyed it a lot more. There are a wide variety of trails out there, for everyone from a rank beginner to a seasoned pro. I'm used to riding in the mountains where the trails always lead to somewhere, so the idea of just riding around, I have to admit, is a little foreign to me.

We found some challenging hillclimbs, a few jumps, some smooth high speed cross country type trails, a little rough rocky stuff, lots of knarly wash outs, and even a high banked sweeper corner that was perfect for kicking up a killer roost. It was a great end to what started out as a bummer day.





This morning I had to say goodbye to an old friend, one that had been ailing for some time, too long in fact. That's the problem with dogs, it's sometimes hard to know when to say goodbye, I've known it was time for a while now, I just didn't have the heart to admit it. Knowing that it's time doesn't make it any easier. It wasn't any easier than it was the last time, when I was 11 years old, and I doubt it will be any easier next time, if there is a next time.

No more pain old friend, you served me well, you trusted me without conditions, your loyalty will not be forgotten, now rest in peace, no more pain old friend.

9 comments:

KarbonKountyMoos said...

So sorry to hear about the dog, Justin.

Justin said...

Thanks moos, he's buried in a far more beautiful place than my worthless carcass will probably wind up. It's hard for a grumpy ol' booger like me to admit he's such a softy sometimes, thanks for caring.

Joe Visionary said...

It's a bit belated, but I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Duke, Justin. Next time you should let Carrie have her Beagle.
Charli- Overland Park, KS

Justin said...

Thanks Joe, good to hear from you.

Thanks Charli, but no more dogs, not until the yard is fenced anyway, then maybe I'll get Carrie a beagle, or maybe I'll get a dog even bigger and uglier than my last one, I like big ugly things, they remind me of myself. ;)

Justin said...

Or maybe a chihuahua with a really bad attitude, small and ugly could work. . .hmmmmm

Dawn said...

Duke thanks you! even though its hard on you it was harder on him to suffer in the cold when he's hurting, and thats why puppies are so cute so it's easier to deal with the loss of an old buddie. I know all to well the loss of beautiful friends, Max, Mocha, Mali, Muffin, etc.... but now I have my beautiful Daisy Princess, who by the way got to chase a bird this weekend, in the mountains-yes we went back - no elk- Daisy's a natural Bird dog. German short hairs are my recomendation... we are going to let her have a batch of pups then you can think about one...It'll be a year or so..

Justin said...

No sis, no more dogs. I don't think about how cute the puppies are, I think more about what I'm going to do with them when they grow up. That just might explain why one of us doesn't bring home quite as many puppies as the other one of us does. I'll give everybody one guess as to which one is which. ;)

Justin said...

I've been thinking about it and I've figured out why it was so hard for me to put that dog down even though I knew it was what had to be done. We had a lot in common, so I probably felt a little more sorry for him than I normally would. That dog got robbed at birth. He was a clear cut case of the soul being willing but the flesh being weak. I know what it feels like to have my own body hell bent on killing me even though my mind was not convinced that it was time to go yet, I've been there. Even though ol' Duke was in a terrible state physically, when I looked into his eyes I still saw that enthusiastic roley poley puppy that I brought home years ago. The lights were still on, he was still in there in a big way, his body just gave up on him before it was time. No amount of money or veterinary expertise could have saved him, even though he still so obviously wanted to live. I guess it's just one more example of why life isn't fair, not even for dogs.