Saturday, November 26, 2005

Well, So Much For That Idea, Good Morning to All

The Harry Potter movie thing last night didn't turn out so well. Seems that the 8:10 show was sold out by the time we got there. Oops. I go to the movies once, maybe twice a year at most so I have to admit that I'm not really up to speed on the standard procedure, as in how early one should show up. I figured that 45 minutes before the show started was enough, guess not, everyone else must have allowed an hour or more. Theaters are such a rip off anyway, for what it costs to take my family to a movie we can practically go to Sprawl-Mart (thanks Tony, I like that one) and buy a TV, a DVD player, and a flick. We're gonna try it again tonight anyway, if we get home from hunting early enough, I kinda feel bad for getting the rugrat's hopes all up for nothing, so I gotta make it up to 'em somehow.

Oh well, we took a little drive and came back home, went to bed early and got some sleep for once. Now I seem to have Tony's "wake up too early and can't get back to sleep" syndrome. Oh well again, I'm wide awake and ready to go have some fun hunting with my son. I'll be waking the boy up any minute now, the turkey sandwiches are made and ready to go, the hunting gear is all set out and ready to load in the truck, it's gonna be a good day I can feel it. Even if we come home empty handed, it's gonna be a good day.

The last time I said I had a good feeling about a hunt we ended up in a fight for survival on top of the Gravelly Range when the snow started melting and the snowmobile tracks that we were riding our 4 wheelers on top of turned to mush . . . . 3 foot deep mush.

We fought for hours just to make a mile of progress until, just as it was starting to get dark, we came across a guy that was parked at the bottom of the mountain on the other side from where our truck was parked. He had a big enough trailer to haul all of our machines and he was headed sorta that way anyway, so we rode down the other side of the mountain, hitched a ride all the way around with him, and rode the 4 wheelers about 15 miles down the highway and up a Forest Service road the next morning to get the truck and trailer.

That was one of the few times that we actually were at least somewhat prepared, (most of our survival type gear is in the packs on the 4 wheelers, it's when we get stranded with just the truck that we're screwed) I can't speak so much for our other two companions but my son and I at least had some food and water, as well as a few extra clothes, some chemical heat packs, a hatchet, a shovel, and some rope. The boy's feet were about to freeze off from wading around in thigh deep snow getting 4 wheelers unstuck, and we were just about to start a fire, build a shelter and settle in for a long, cold night when we ran into our new best friend there.

I tell you this story just so you'll know, if you never hear from me again it'll be because I jinxed myself a minute ago. If we do make it back alive, it should be a whopper of a tale at any rate. Hopefully I'm getting your hopes up for nothing, I wouldn't feel bad about disappointing you this time if it meant avoiding another experience like that. I'm not oblivious to the possibility of spending the night out in the woods, I've done it many times, it just isn't very pleasant if one hasn't planned for it entirely.

This brings me to another subject that I've been wanting to bring up for a day or two now. Some may have noticed that I've put up a link on the sidebar to an online journal from Antarctica. Talk about your ultimate survival situation. Seems that this gal from Saskatoon is down there on some kind of a research expedition and she's keeping a blog of some of her adventures, with several really cool pics.

I happened across it entirely by accident and decided to share it with everyone. Go check it out, leave her some encouraging comments, so far she's only got one and that was from me. Seems that they're using ATVs to get around (I would've guessed that they'd use snowmobiles but they've got Honda 4 wheelers) and I have to say that I'm a little jealous, I've never ridden Antarctica and I doubt I ever will. Can you say once in a lifetime? She mentions the survival packs that are issued to everyone and I'm really curious as to what's in them. I've got a duffel bag that I refer to as my "winter survival pack", but it was set up to be carried in the cab of a truck, way too big and heavy to carry on foot, even on the 4 wheeler it would be a stretch. Anyway, go check it out, it's pretty cool, or at least I thought it was but I'm easily impressed when it comes to places that are the definition of the middle of nowhere.

Well all, I'm off. Just a little brain drain for you all to chew on until I get something interesting to write about. Have a good day no matter what your doing with it. I'll hopefully be back tonight alive and well with stories of adventure on the high seas . . . . . um, I mean adventure in the high country, yeah, that's it. ARRRRRRRRRRRRR MATEYS!

2 comments:

Dennis C. Poulsen said...

Justin, I read your Blog, Profile etc. that is very cool. If you are old-fashioned then I guess count me in, the similarities in your priorities are astounding and oh! pretty hard to find these days. Life is not a frr ride, you do have to work to appreciate what you have and one's FAMILY is number one, or should be, anyway great Blog take care DENNIS

Justin said...

I'm glad you liked it Dennis, and I was glad to see over at City Lights that you spent the holiday with your family. Sorry that we got off on the wrong foot, but I'm glad we got past all that already. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just tell things how I see them. (hence the name "What I Think") If I can make a few friends in the process, then I'm doing something right I guess. Keep in touch.