Thursday, January 05, 2006

As If Picking On The ATVs and Snowmobiles Wasn't Enough . . .

Now the nonmotorized crowd can't even get along with each other. Today's Gazoo, go check it out. Seems that the skiers can't even tolerate the snowboarders, where the hell does this stuff end? Are we all going to have to band together and buy our own little private resorts for each conceivable form of recreation to keep some group of elitist douchebags from bitching?

I will openly admit that I know little if anything about skiing, or ski resorts for that matter, but aren't most of them located on leased public land? How can this kind of elitist discrimination be allowed on public land? Is it? I'm asking, really. Are these resorts entirely private, or are my and your tax dollars funding a discrepancy involving which type of sticks people strap to their feet before sliding down a hill? What the heck is the difference? Are snowboards noisy? Do snowboards cause more environmental damage than skis? Or are the old fart elitists jealous because the kids on the snowboards look cooler and get all the chicks? I'd really like to know the justification for this one. I can accept the noise argument against my chosen form of fun as at least mildly viable, but snowboards? Come on people.

This ranks right up there with a mountain biker I talked to a few years back that said the hikers were out to get him just as bad as they were out to get me and the dirt bike I was riding. Seems like a few extremely squeaky wheels are hogging all the grease here, and they don't even like wheels, go figure.

Tolerance is the key, my friends. Freedom can only exist if we tolerate that which may annoy, but nevertheless does not hurt us. If I were ever rich I would make a point of annoying these idiots for fun. My snowboard goes up hills. I wonder what they'd have to say about that? My 4 wheeler would be a lot of fun in those sand traps on golf courses too, if I had the money for bail. ;)


7 comments:

Table Mountains said...

were experiencing the same kind of problems in newfoundland.we have one trail(old abandoned railway line)almost 600 miles long.hikers are complaining of atv riders/snowmobilers.yet if it wasn't for the atv/snowmobile use this trail would of grown over with alders.we see atv tour groups every day pass through in the summer bringing $$$$ in.the trail and bridges have been upgraded because of it.those groups make a 5 day tour,businesses such as hotels,restaurants,bed and breakfasts are doing great because of the trail use.new lodges are springing up along side the trailway and it can only get better.

Justin said...

You'd be amazed at all the places where there's opportunities like that here in Montana. I don't know of any 600 mile continuous trails, but there could be I'm sure if they'd let us connect a few existing trail systems.

There's a few lodges that are only/primarily accessible in winter by snowmobile, but the ones I know about are in Wyoming. Montana seems to be hell bent on shutting down the small, local areas that depend on the sleds in the winter to fill the tourist void, and they're not promoting anything except hiking, snowshoeing, and skiing. Just because a few locals, mostly out of state transplants backed by extremely powerful special interest groups from out of state, don't like motorized recreation, we have to disallow a potentially viable expansion to our tourist industry in the name of bleeding heart save the world emotions.

If the State of Montana took one look at their own registration figures on ATVs and snowmobiles, they'd have to be idiots to not see how much money they're losing, and keeping out of the economy, by not promoting this stuff. I admit that a lot of nonmotorized users come from out of state, but they're not spending money, the ATVers and snowmobilers are spending money, and properly managed they aren't hurting a darn thing.

We have wilderness areas set aside for nonmotorized use, let them cater to the hikers and leave the existing trails alone, that's all we ask. I'd like to come up there and ride that 600 mile trail sometime Wayne, sounds like my kind of fun for sure, too bad I don't have the coins for a trip like that. You'll have to keep me happy with lots of pics. ;) Thanks for the visit.

5 said...

"My snowboard goes up hills."
No no. your "snowboard" will pull me on my snowboard to the top and pick up at the bottom, again and again and again...
Next time you head up to a place with some coverage and steepness, lemme know. Tree's are good too...
I have my own helmet, thank you...

Justin said...

Will do Tony. I could probably even procure a sled for you to ride, I don't know if you'd be interested with your shoulder and all, but I'm trying to find time to build a sled to pull behind mine to haul the rugrats around. There's a killer hill up in the 'Horns that would be a blast on a snowboard, but riding up it double might be a bit of a trick. I'm sure we could figure out something though, I'll let you know when we're going again.

Table Mountains said...

we have many trails here justin.that one is the longest.i drove over 160 kilometers a day on some atv trips.here's an album on a link here of an over nighter a few years back.the teail is only 300 ft. from my property here.

http://community.webshots.com/album/87332608fyYrMr

The Dixie Drifter said...

Hey Justin how is it going, happy Friday to you, I have the site in a lock down mode for the time being I got into a scuffle with this idiot Stalin the Shark, what a moron, but the drifter came out on top of that one, this friggen retard wanted to play ban the IP address, playing my game I love it when people try that shit, makes me real determined to show them they cannot keep me out....have a good weekend.

bryceviewlodge said...

I wonder what’s the difference of snow mobile to an ordinary ATV?

click here