Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Pleasant 100% Apolitical Day

As I said yesterday, I've had enough politics for now, it's playtime. I'm all done responding to trolls, bring an intelligent discussion and we'll talk. Show up drunk, babbling nonsense and insults . . . Sorry, I have a life and better things to do than sit at this computer all day trying to reason with the unreasonable.

Now, on to bigger and better things.

Saturday night, my family and I were happy to attend a performance of Tony's wife Crystal and the other dancers of Raks Amilah. If you get a chance to see one of their shows do yourself a favor and don't miss it. As I told Tony when he invited me, I'd never attended an event with women dancing that didn't involve a stage with a pole and a lot of dollar bills, this was far more classy, and lord knows a little culture wouldn't hurt this ornery hermit. Besides getting to see Crystal and her friends dance, I got to meet the amazing and adorable Miss Stella. Tony is a very fortunate man to be blessed with such a beautiful family, which I really don't understand because he is kind of homely looking after all. ;)


Ahhhhhh . . . . Wyoming's scenic Sunlight Basin at sunrise, pretty ain't it? Much too quiet though, we can fix that, or at least we could if there was any snow. There's snow behind me, lots of it. Wanna see?




The Bighorns were blessed with just enough fresh powder to make things interesting. Perhaps not enough to truly challenge my much more experienced friends and their long track mountain sleds, but my old Wildcat with its mediocre pilot (that would be me) and shorter track had its hands full much of the day. I was proud of myself overall, I only managed to get stuck once and not all that bad. I did however do a magnificent triple flip with a backwards somersault at 40 MPH when the deep snow foot swiped me off of the running board while carving a turn in some virgin powder. The snow was pretty soft so the landing wasn't bad, chasing down my sled in ass deep snow while the 7 pounds of it that went down the back of my coat made it's way lower was the part that sucked. No one saw me until I was almost back on my machine, then my 2nd best friend Brian felt obligated to come over and remind me that I was supposed to stay on the snowmobile in order to ride it. Now he tells me. Too bad he didn't get a picture, I couldn't see what happened, my helmet was full of snow after I bounced on my head the second, or possibly third time, I wasn't counting.



Now this is more like it. My amigos wanted some air pics of their sleds, so we set up a few shots on some nice jumps that we found. I'm taking my good camera next time. I bought this one so I wouldn't have to worry about ruining my good one, but the picture quality just isn't the same. It takes good video as long as the lighting is bright enough, but action shots always come out blurry. With my other camera, you'd be able to count the needles on the tree in the background.




Even the old Wildcat catches a little air. I even managed to stay on it . . . . . This time.




Dave learns to fly. Ok, he already knew how, he just didn't have any pictures to prove it. Seems to be the landings that he has hell with though. This stick was spectacular, one of those "had to be there" moments, stuffed the front half of the sled into the opposite side of a creek bank up to the windshield and launched himself over the bars. The three of us that went riding today have been best friends since High School, what are friends for if not to post your most embarrassing moments on the internet?








Brian managed to stick the Summit too on a bad landing, we each got stuck once, only I avoided photographic documentation. The benefits of having the camera safely stowed in your own pocket.


Now doesn't that look fun?

Last time I went sledding my shoulders hurt. This time I feel like I got my ass kicked in a bar fight. I'm gonna take a hot shower and go to bed.


Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night.

10 comments:

5 said...

Thanks for the funnies in the snow my friend, looks like a beautiful day up there. Enjoyed the visit too Saturady night, lets do it again in four weeks, mark that calendar! Take care-oh, hows that tuna? mmmm, tuna.....

Justin said...

If I can be there, I will, bet on it.

I haven't tried the tuna yet, but I think I hear a sandwich calling my name after I get out of the shower, I've never had the real thing before, just the store bought stuff. Tuna, minus tin, just has to be better.

Dawn said...

Loved the Pictures Justin. for a cheap camera they are pretty good for action shots. Glad you didn't break anything....

Table Mountains said...

with todays digitals on a sports setting you can capture great shots.

Justin said...

Howdy Wayne, my good camera has an action setting but the cheap one doesn't. The best way I've found to get action pics is to record video, then pull frames out of it. The timing isn't so critical that way. I haven't tried it with my good camera, the cheap one does OK, but they're kind of blurry. I'm going to try to clean some of these up but there's no substitute for higher resolution. Maybe someday I'll be able to take pics as good as yours Wayne, hopefully I won't have to buy some uber expensive camera to do it.

Hi sis, who says I didn't break anything? ;) It isn't a good day sledding if you don't break anything. Most of my bones are still intact, I think, hard to tell the way my shoulders hurt, but my sled seems to have developed a pretty hefty oil leak and an interesting noise/vibration from the primary clutch, I think it pitched a shoe. The secondary clutch decided about half way through the day that it no longer felt the need to backshift like it's supposed to as well, so I guess I'll have to dig out the wrenches this weekend. I hate it when my toys make me work, but I hate making payments on them even worse, can't have it both ways I guess.

Anonymous said...

Well if you would buy a skidoo you wouldn't have that problem....

Anonymous said...

Yep next time you guys go out I want to show you how to NOT get stuck and how NOT to ride articats hey hey ride skidoo

Justin said...

Well anonymous, you may notice, the only ski doo there got stuck too. ;)

Anonymous said...

yep he sure did and told me all about it hahahaha to bad your working today we are going to go ride...

Anonymous said...

hey justin did you get the sled fixed? planning on a trip to cooke this weekend if your interested?