Monday, May 22, 2006

I Really Wish That I'd Taken My Camera . . . .


Last Sunday morning I loaded up a couple planes and headed off to Amend Park to bore a few holes in the sky and had the entire place to myself. Zero wind, perfect temperature, absolutely awesome day for flying, just no one to fly with.

This morning I did the same thing, only this time I found the park heavily populated with several of my fellow fliers. WOW! What an airshow, and wouldn't you know it, I forgot my camera. I'm going to try to get my hands on a copy of some video that was shot today though, and come hell or high water, if I can get a copy, I'll figure out a way to post it so everyone can see it. Let's just say that it involved a small digital camcorder strapped onto a big electric powered Hobby Lobby Telemaster, absolutely awe inspiring on the little postage stamp sized screen on the camera, I'd pay good money to see it full screen. Nothing quite like seeing yourself standing there on the ground getting smaller and smaller in a hurry. Really makes me wish that I still had one of my big planes flying, I've always wanted to strap a camera to a plane but back when I was flying the larger models even the smallest camcorders were equivalent in size and weight to a brick. I have a digital now that only weighs 5.5 ounces. My 5 foot span trainer would have lifted that no problem, if I hadn't crashed it years ago. Oops.

Besides the big Telemaster, there were a couple of awesome electric powered sailplanes, one bungee launch glider that seemed to defy gravity by staying aloft for several minutes at a time without the benefit of a motor at all, a small electric powered and expertly scratch built rendition of a Sig Kadet (the link is for a factory version, the one flying today was a reduced size electric conversion with about a 3 foot wingspan that was built from scratch off of a set of plans, and I might add included some of the finest workmanship that I've seen on a model of that type), a couple of flat foamies to handle all the tricks that the pilots of the more expensive and delicate airplanes are afraid to try, and of course yours truly bending the sticks and putting the dastardly CAP232 through its paces. In all my years of modeling and flying, I don't remember a better day at the field. Did I mention that I forgot my camera?

In case no one noticed, I put up a link a while back for Abell Hobby here in Billings. These guys travel the world in search of new and interesting products (really they just like to get out of town and party), as well as making a few themselves. I have a few links for businesses that have treated me good in the past, but it's not all that often that I outright plug a business, these guys deserve it. Since I don't really have anything worthwhile to contribute today, give yourself a good laugh, go Check out this video and you'll not only see why stopping by their shop or running into them at the field is so much fun, but you'll also see why people everywhere else think Montanans are crazy. And all this time I thought it was my fault for getting drunk and riding wheelies on my 4 wheeler up and down the street . . . . . in the middle of the night . . . . . . naked. I guess I ain't got nothin' on Crashis Clay and Joh . . . uh . . . Richard Hebner, hehehe. These guys make me proud. Even I've never managed to get the cops called on me for anything involving an RC airplane, explosives on the other hand . . . . . . ;)

4 comments:

The Dixie Drifter said...

Hey Justin here is a site that you can put the video upon and it is free and does a great job. it is called your tube. www.yourtube.com I have one up on my regular site at www.rockytoptennessee.net I did not want to make the viewing screen to large throws the site out of whack, check it out if you are looking to do some video.

Justin said...

Somebody was just talking about youtube or yourtube or whatever it is the other day, I'll have to go check that out! I've been wondering how I could go about posting video without having to pay for it, thanks Drifter, I owe ya' one!

Now if I could just get my hands on a copy of that video. Maybe I'll just have to get my last remaining "big" plane out of mothballs and go make one of my own.

The Dixie Drifter said...

Justin it is youtube my mistake above, and it works pretty good.

The Dixie Drifter said...

I do not know if you checked out the one that I put up over at my regular site and it is a 20MB file and it streams real good, if you haven't checked it out do so.