Saturday, August 19, 2006

Happy Holiday!


What holiday is it you ask?

Why it's National Aviation Day, what else?

First observed in 1939, during a period known by us airplane geeks as "The Golden Age of Aviation" due to the numerous technological advances made during the period between the two world wars, National Aviation Day was started as a way to commemorate the achievements of aviation's earliest pioneers. December 17th, would have been a better day in my opinion, since that was the day in the monumental year of 19 hundred and 3 when Orville and Wilbur first ventured into the wild blue yonder in a craft that flew under its own power, but August 19th is Orville Wright's birthday. I guess poor Wilbur is just chopped liver. Maybe the people that started the holiday didn't want to compete with Christmas or something?

At any rate, if anyone wants to get me a National Aviation Day present, for the mere price of $139.99 there's this really cool Piper Cub from E-Flite . . . . . . . ;)

5 comments:

KarbonKountyMoos said...

Hey Justin - Happy National Aviation Day. Are there cards for that?

Justin said...

Well leave it to you to find one Karen, LOL. Thanks for the card, I really got a kick out of that one. ;)

Table Mountains said...

no can do justin but how about this : )

http://www.paperairplanes.co.uk/planes.php

Justin said...

Thanks Wayne, there was actually a few of them that I hadn't seen before!

Wow, now I know who my true friends are.

Wayne and Karen, you are now officially granted VIP status here at What I Think (as if you give a damn). I'm not exactly sure what that entails, but I'm sure I'll think of something. ;)

walkera said...

happy holiday andWalkera UFO RC Helicopter thanks for sharing your happy with us,good luck!