Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Did Everyone Make It To The Music Store Yesterday?

Yep, it's October 4th. Know what that means? The new Evanescence album came out yesterday.

Did anyone think that I wouldn't run out and buy it right away? Didn't think so. Actually the wife ran out and bought it for me . . . . . . . I was sleeping.

I've finally gotten a chance to listen to the whole thing, and I have to say that in spite of all of the changes the band has gone through since their last album, they haven't lost anything musically in the process. If anything they've gained since the concentration now seems to be a lot more focused on Amy's voice talents. Ben Moody is one hell of a guitar player, but it's always been Amy that made the band what it is and there was obviously a lot of tension between Ben and Amy. When I saw them perform live, I was actually waiting for them to get into a fist fight on stage. I don't know what happened between those two, and I don't really care, but whatever it was it obviously wasn't good. I think what Amy has said in numerous interviews is correct, Ben's leaving was for the best.

There are a few more "special effects" on this album than on their previous works, but they seem to be well done and not overpowering. In stark contrast to that however, this album also has a lot of slower, more acoustic songs. Obviously an attempt to capitalize on the widespread popularity of My Immortal. Once again, there seems to be a lot more focus on Amy's voice talents, and as a result this album doesn't rock quite as hard as Fallen did, but that's not to say that it doesn't rock at all because it definitely does. I mean face it, Amy Lee could sing the fucking Rubber Ducky song from Sesame Street and it would rock. OK . . . . . . Maybe it wouldn't . . . . . . . But she'd still look hot while she was singing it!

One similarity to Fallen that I was very happy to find, is the fact that I can put this album on and just let it play, I've yet to find a song that makes me want to reach for the CD player remote. I think my patron blog babe and friends have another winner on their hands, and I'll be waiting to see how many songs from this album make their way to the top of the charts. It's nice to finally find a band headed up by a young, attractive, female vocalist that doesn't simply use her body instead of her musical talents as a promotional tool. It's also nice to not have to cringe when I hear my daughter singing along, if she insists on imitating singers at least she's picked one that doesn't prance around half naked on stage shaking her mostly exposed flesh in an effort to sell records with the album cover pictures instead of the music.

Trust me ladies, exposed belly buttons and half an ass cheek hanging out of each leg of your shorty shorts will definitely turn guys' heads, but a little class will go a long way towards keeping them turned. Add that to the fact that I actually buy albums with good music on them, and there's one more reason to concentrate a little harder on the music than the T&A. I just download Britney for free. ;)








Damn . . . . . . Goth chicks are hot!

2 comments:

T said...

She certainly is quite the uh, uh, yeah, I would drink her bath water....

Justin said...

I don't know if I'd go quite that far t, I'm not one of those creepy celebrity stalker people or anything, but she's definitely obtained full fledged babe status.

Oh screw it. Bartender, bring us a shot of bathwater and two straws!