Monday, December 11, 2006

Yes, It Flies. But Then Again . . . Did You Have Any Doubts?

I managed to make it to the park Sunday morning to test fly the new Mugi Evo, and I'm happy to report that it does indeed fly, however the action of the semi frigid weather upon my stubby little thumbs made it difficult to really wring the thing out. This one's a little heavier than my other one, and therefore flies a little different and I'm not quite used to that yet. The speed is phenomenal, as is the vertical performance or at least for what little I've been able to test it. This bad boy will shoot straight up as far as I want it to at a speed far greater than my other one will run flat and level. Besides manning the catapult for a flawless launch, Mark grabbed the camera and caught a little video of the first flight, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Besides the aforementioned numbness in my thumbs, I was noticing that the flight characteristics were indicative of the thing perhaps being a wee bit tail heavy, so I added another 1/4 ounce to the nose but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I've also noticed that the controls were a tad sluggish for an aircraft of this type, but I haven't quite made up my mind whether that's due to the conservative control throws that I set up for the maiden voyage, or perhaps due to the inflexibility of cold plastic. I used flexible control linkages on this one in a quest for less drag, and I have to imagine that cold weather would make them far less flexible than they were sitting on my dining room table when I tested everything. If I had it to do over I would've routed them a little differently as to not require as much flex, but that's a good part of the reason why I keep building these things: I learn something new every time and that's part of the fun kiddies!

Be sure to check out Morgan's new page over at the Mugi site. He sent me an email the other day asking if it'd be all right if he put this up. I basically said "hell yeah!" If I keep this up I'll be able to start running around with my ass hanging out any day now, just like a real live famous person! It's kind of odd when you think about it, but before the internet came along the probability of a simple yet effective model aircraft designed by an enthusiast in England becoming wildly popular in Billings, Montana was slim to none. These days however, it's not only probable, but highly likely, and that's a beautiful thing methinks. We modelers are no different than anyone else in this neck of the woods. Simple and durable are important qualities to folks around here, and I think that's a big part of the reason why these planes have built up such a following. Practically everyone that sees them wants one, and I don't see much of a decline in interest from the current owners either, especially not from this one. I'm still just as stoked about these things as I was when I blasted across the park with my first one, pulled it vertical and checked out the roll rate. Toss in a little heart stopping performance coupled with a price even my friend Mark could love, and it's no mystery why we love our Mugi Evos. ;) (sm)

Sorry Mark, I just couldn't resist that one, hehehehe.

Ok folks, I've bored you all long enough. I've got some motors to pick up at the post office, and I wouldn't mind spending a little more time working on this before it's time to go to work. At least I'm done Christmas shopping for myself, I suppose I should get started on the wife and young'uns one of these days though. ;)

No comments: