Monday, January 22, 2007

So I Was Brousing Through The Bills In The Legislature . . . .

Found a bunch of legaleze and mumbo jumbo, then I happened across this. Just when I thought the political situation in this state was beyond hope, I find a bill that actually makes sense. Now to me this is just common sense, but in our modern day and age these are rights that actually need to be spelled out in black and white for some people to understand. Read it, love it, tell your representatives to support it. You have a fundamental God given right to defend yourself, and the idea that it even needs to be legally protected is absolutely ridiculous, but these are the times in which we live. The rights protected by this bill don't go nearly far enough as far as I'm concerned, but at least they're a step in the right direction.

I also found this. I've heard a bunch of talk about bills requiring headlights to be used at all times and personally I think it's a bunch of hooey. In a day and age when we're all concerned about energy use, I think it's rather ludicrous to make people run their headlights in broad daylight. The juice to run those lights has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is your car's alternator. The amount of rotational force that said alternator will rob from your engine is in direct proportion to how many electrical devices are placing a demand on the electrical system of said automobile. This includes the vehicle's headlights. All that long winded crapola translates into a reduction in fuel economy, albeit minuscule, but when one considers the number of vehicles on the road on any given bright sunny day, it could translate into a really significant amount of unnecessary fuel consumption. There are times however, when vehicles become practically invisible, and I really wonder why people aren't smart enough to turn their lights on strictly out of a sense of self preservation. This bill addresses just that.

A relative of mine took a trip back East a few years ago and told me about a state with a similar law, West Virginia if I'm not mistaken, and although I seldom agree with anything imported from back East, I thought it was a good idea. I still think it's a good idea and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing this bill pass. Just in case you're too lazy or busy to click the link and read it yourself, it basically says that any time you need your windshield wipers, you need your headlights. Makes sense to me, I've been doing basically just that for years but some people seem to think that it's not necessary to run their headlights unless it's pitch black darkness. In times of reduced visibility like snowstorms, fog, during periods of heavy rain (what the heck is that?), or even on particularly cloudy days, whether or not you have your lights on could mean the difference between life and death. Keep that in mind the next time I'm coming at you in my truck. Fully loaded I'm grossing at or over 100,000 lbs., trust me, you want me to see you. Considering the fact that the last legislature had to make it a law to change lanes for parked emergency vehicles however, it doesn't surprise me that they once again feel compelled to legislate common sense. We could save a lot of money on politicians if people would just pull their heads out of their asses.

Just when I was starting to regain hope however, I find this little jewel. Now tell me, how much sense does it make to allow people to burn tires, slag, or hazardous waste in order to dispose of them, but not to create energy? If you're going to let people burn them anyway, why not let some good become of it? Nevermind the fact that huge heaps of tires are piling up all over the world and as of yet, no one's found a particularly good use for them. Is it not feasible that someday, someone could invent a device that could burn tires, which create a tremendous amount of heat by the way, and somehow do so in a manner that wouldn't emit copious amounts of hazardous emissions? Wouldn't it then make perfect sense to allow ourselves the latitude to make use of said technology rather than insuring that Montana will be the only state in the union not doing so when the time comes because we're too busy calling a special session of the legislature and arguing about it while everyone else is generating electricity with "clean tire" fired power plants? Oh well, we Montanans are used to sucking hind tit when it comes to high technology.

To me it's just as ridiculous as the fact that we're not harvesting used fry oil from behind every restaurant in the state and turning it into biodiesel, just a stupid waste when we could be turning a bothersome waste product into basically free energy. This all comes about from the whole fracas involving the cement plant in Trident using metal slag in their furnace. No matter how many times somebody tells these environmental retards, they just can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that they weren't going to burn the shit, they wanted to use it as an ingredient . . . . . big difference. Do me a favor my tree hugging friends, take five minutes and do a little research into how things work before running your mouth in direct response to the jerk of your knee.

Raping and pillaging the environment - Not good.

Letting a free and potentially viable energy source go to waste because some people are too stupid and emotional to see it for what it is - Not good either.

This one isn't too bad. I personally would like to see the use of unmarked police vehicles completely prohibited except for in extreme cases such as surveillance of established suspects, but at least this one gives us the right to make sure that a cop is really a cop before we're required to treat him or her like a cop. Hell, anybody can get online and order a red and blue flashing light and wire it up in the grill of their outfit, that doesn't make them a police officer. It would give them a decided edge in the commission of a plethora of different crimes however. I say paint the damn things black and white like they're supposed to be, put the big ol' bubble gum machine lights back on top of them, and get out there and enforce the law instead of hiding behind billboard signs and playing tax collector. If a highway patrol car is parked out in plain sight along the highway, everyone that sees that car is going to slow down and drive more carefully. If a patrolman in an unmarked car pulls over another car, then maybe they slow that one down, but what about all of the others that didn't even know it was a cop? They might not write quite as many tickets, but it would go a lot farther towards making the highways safer, as well as remove pretty much all question as to who the real officers are. Somebody just might go to the trouble of wiring up $50 worth of lights in order to rob you, rape you, or steal your car. They're not nearly as likely to outfit an entire phony patrol car and buy a full uniform however.

I finally got tired of picking through the bills one by one, I only made it about a quarter of the way through, and decided to do a search to see if anything was being done about the biodiesel issue. I found this. Now how much sense does this make? To be honest I really don't know. I like the fact that under this bill, all diesel fuel sold in the state would have to be at least part bio, but I don't like the fact that under this bill, all diesel fuel sold in the state would have to be at least part bio. Yeah, it's a double edged sword.

With the new low sulphur requirements that recently went into effect, we're likely to see a lot of broken down older diesel vehicles sitting alongside the highway. Vehicles like my old Ford pickup that aren't designed to run on ultra low sulphur diesel fuel to be exact, as well as a lot of newer vehicles since from what I'm told nothing made before 2006 is really designed for the stuff including heavy trucks. Sulphur in diesel fuel acts as a lubricant, and since the entire fuel system of a diesel engine is lubricated by the fuel itself, when you take away the sulphur it's like running an engine with no oil. It won't be long before expensive fuel system components begin to fail. Now biodiesel however, has five times the lubricity of even the "old" diesel fuel, which means that even a small amount used as an additive in this new low sulphur crap would drastically counteract the negative effects of taking the sulphur out of the fuel without any of the negative environmental effects that led to the reduced sulphur levels in the first place. In that aspect, it's a win win.

What I'm afraid of however, is that by requiring the use of biodiesel in all fuel, we'll inadvertently drive up the cost since the infrastructure to support it isn't in place yet. If we had a thriving biodiesel industry in this state already functioning, I'd be all for it, but we don't, and we're not likely to for some time.

Here's a better idea, pass a bill to allow people to make their own biodiesel unhindered by legal hang ups. Let me pass a test, or take a class, or whatever, and get a license that will allow me to buy my biodiesel ingredients from chemical suppliers without paying the "meth tax" which is my name for the outlandish prices that I've been quoted for lye and methanol. I know that industrial users aren't paying $500 for a 50 lb. sack of lye, so I'm led to believe that it's just a ploy to root out the meth makers. When somebody gets caught using their biodiesel license to buy meth ingredients, which is sure to happen sooner or later, hang their ass. Seriously. Get a fucking rope and string them up from the nearest tall tree, let their sorry ass swing as an example to the rest of the fuckers. Or better yet, legalize meth and let the idiots kill themselves and save the rest of us the trouble. That way even I could be "green" and my old sulphur loving Ford could continue to live a long and happy life. The meth users would become extinct long before it took the final trip to the big wrecking yard in the sky.

There were only two other bills even mentioning biodiesel, and they were both the same crap I've seen before designed to stimulate industrial production, nothing to do with private individuals unless they want to sell the stuff.

Seems that independence is a dirty word.

Anyway, that's all I've found so far. I'll pick through some more as soon as I get the time.

2 comments:

JC Williams said...

Hey Justin how is it going? looks like you have turned into a political activist, waiting to see some more of them flying videos, here is one of the new bridge being built across the narrows here in tacoma.

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=13104&CID=68549

Justin said...

Howdy JC, I'll check out the video ASAP, been working pretty steady lately. I've always been at least somewhat of a political activist, I just try not to get too active lest my head assplode from seeing too much ignorance and stupidity. Believe me, I'll get back to the flying videos as soon as the weather allows, my thumbs are getting out of shape and it sucks.

Good to hear from you, keep in touch.