Saturday, March 17, 2007

Operation No More Mud

I've written here before about my yard, and how it's a giant mudhole interspersed with weeds and dilapidated automobilia of every kind. Due to an event in my past, namely spending a good deal of time and money cleaning and fixing up what was a weed infested shithole into a pretty damn nice yard with a mostly dandelion free lawn and an extemely fertile garden spot only to get the proverbial boot when the landlord sold out, I vowed to never invest any more time into a rented lot than what was required to keep from having to use a machete to get from the driveway to the door. I bought this place from my former landlady over a year ago, it's time to start acting like I own it.

First step: The mud has to go. Everyone in my family, me most of all, is absolutely sick of having to drive sideways from the road to the house, and then slog through ankle deep muck from the vehicle to the house, then try to scrape off as much as possible before coming inside to immediately remove our shoes. When the snow started melting I was really beginning to think that selling my 4 wheel drive wasn't the best idea as I played mud racer on my way to work every night in my old blue 2 wheel drive GMC. Driving sideways through the mud with your wheels spinning is fun, but not particularly when there's somewhere you have to be at a certain time.

Thanks to Todd, a good friend of my Dad's, I was given loan of a tired, but character rich, old Freightliner dump truck yesterday, and proceeded to haul 45 ton of gravel onto my property to hopefully cover up a few of the soft spots. I have kind of a soft spot for tired old trucks. I would've gotten another 15 ton if the gravel pit had stayed open a little longer, but I think we can make do. It's not everyday that someone that you've never met will let you just take his dump truck and go haul gravel, and it's definitely not every day that he absolutely refuses to let you pay for the priveledge. Thanks Todd, I owe you one, big time.

As I write this, Brian is on his way from Columbus with his skid steer - Mudhole, meet your maker.

I made three of these "mountains" as my little nephew Jeremiah calls them. Today we turn our mountains into molehills.




Little Jeremiah, an avid truck enthusiast to say the least, finally gets his first chance to drive a big truck, with the help of my daughter Jeannette of course. This little fella points out every truck that drives by with the enthusiasm that only a child posesses, but surprisingly he was kind of intimidated when he finally got to see one up close. With a very small amount of coaxing however, he decided that it wasn't all that scary after all. I still couldn't talk him into going for a ride with me, but I definitely didn't have that problem with my daughter who was all to happy to bounce along when I took the old truck back home to its owner.



My friend Wade showed up to visit with his grandson "Bug", and he was happy to help train Jeremiah in the finer points of truck driving. Unlike my nephew, Bug is an experienced gravel trucker with several miles of safe driving under his belt already thanks to grandpa. These little fellas really take me back to when I was just a little guy sitting on my Dad's lap steering an old tanker truck down a gravel road. Seems like just yesterday.


Well folks, time to get busy. There's a shovel in my garage that really needs someone to lean on it. More pics later.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Great photos of great looking children, Justin! At least your mud isn't mixed with manure. . .

Congratulations on the gravel.

One of my pickups looks like it was in one of those insane commercials where everyone drives as fast as humanly possible through the mud, desert, snow, Yellowstone River, etc. . . except it hasn't been rinsed in the river - yet.